Sunday, June 22, 2008

Service is Optional?

Today in Elders Quorum, President Will Fritcher asked for volunteers to help with a service project. His approach was novel and one that I really appreciated. All he stated is that he needed help for about 15 minutes at 5pm today. The silence was overwhelming! Finally someone had the gumption to ask "are you going to tell us what we are going to be doing for service?" At that comment I instantly raised my hand and volunteered. I realized that it should not matter what the project or activity is, we should be willing to serve regardless of what we are doing. After church I spoke with President Fritcher about our service. He told us that we will be setting up chairs for the viewing tonight for Sister Linda Dexter. How grateful I was that I volunteered without knowing exactly what was to be required.

But for some it really seems that service is optional. Only when it works in their schedule and fits their ideals of how they would like to serve. Thankfully Christ does not feel the same way. If that were the case I am sure I would be at the end of His service line.

No comments: