Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Perspective

When you look through binoculars you see what is in the view finder very clearly and up close. Life, like binoculars, can give you a certain perspective that otherwise may not have come.

There is an old adage that states something to the effect to "look at the issue through the other persons eyes". A sort of reverse introspection if you will.

I have had an opportunity to gain more perspective in my life. I guess I have been playing the "what if" game with myself. Becky and her friend Heather Johns were talking the other day, and the question they discussed was "if you were to die today, would you go to the celestial kingdom?" At first blush I quickly stated "no". Not because I have grievous sins, but because I can see so many things I need to change in my life.

Upon further review the word perspective came to my mind time and time again. Sure, I have many, many things I can change. But I also began to review what I have accomplished; the many small course corrections that have brought me closer to Heavenly Father. I am thankful for the blessing of the gospel in my life. Grateful for how the spirit whispers the truth to me. And I feel so blessed to be married to my wife. If Christ is the Anchor of My Soul, she is certainly the boat that helps keep me afloat when times are tough.

Perspective is so interesting. It allows us to look back at our life, grade our changes and efforts, and look forward to a brighter day.

No comments: