Sunday, July 20, 2008

Coming out of Retirement

Some of the most prolific athletes in the world have done it, so why can't I? What is it that they have done you ask. Well, come out of retirement. So, I am announcing today that I am ready to un-retire. That's right - I am going back to the rat race.

You may even be asking yourself - "Why would you want to go back to work? Isn't retirement great?" I must admit, when I realized that I needed to stay home from work after my surgery, that I was very excited. Think about it, a week of watching movies, playing the Wii, and reading. How bad could that be? Well, let me tell you. I am BORED. I have not watched so much tv, played so many video games, and took as many long naps since I was in elementary school. The first day was great. But then the monotony took over.

Day in and day out the same thing. So, I am ready to announce that I want to go back to work. The thought of sitting at a desk, using my mind, talking with adults, solving complex problems, etc. sounds wonderful.

The trick now is to convince my body that I am ready to go back. Today was a good test run. We went to church and within about 45 minutes I was so exhausted I was ready to go to sleep right there in the second row. Trust me, I would not be the first person to fall asleep in church, but the thought of actually doing it was more than I could bear. So, I went home and took a nap. After a nice hour or so, I was ready for more activity. Andrew and I went a home taught a neighbor family. That was nice. Adult conversation, get out of the house, take a trip somewhere further than the garage. But, once again, I was ready for a nap when I got home.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. I need it to be if I am ever going to come out of retirement and support my family.

No comments: