Monday, December 29, 2008

An Attitude of Gratitude

President Monson, in the April 1992 General Conference spoke on gratitude of mothers, fathers, teachers, friends, country, and Savior in his talk "An Attitude of Gratitude".

He wrote of teachers as such: The teacher not only shapes the expectations and ambitions of pupils; the teacher also influences their attitudes toward their future and themselves. If the teacher loves the students and has high expectations of them, their self-confidence will grow, their capabilities will develop, and their future will be assured.

If life is the greatest teacher, I would say I have received an amazing lesson. But lessons are only effective if the learner is engaged and willing to learn. Thankfully, I have been an eager learner with regards to my health and possible cancer. Often I received a message of hope of good tidings from friends and even strangers.

Many have even mentioned that they can not believe that we are doing so well regardless of what stormy weather seems to be pounding upon us. I think my secret is two fold: good attitude and gratitude.

When I asked Becky to marry me, I promised I would make her laugh at least once every day. Although I have not been perfect at my goal, I would say that there have only been a few days in our married life that I have not accomplished it (most of those were days that I was out of town.) Finding humor in life has been key for me.

But it was not until recently that I truly found how powerful gratitude can be. I heard recently in a talk that we should try to offer a prayer that is filled with gratitude and does not ask for anything. That attitude has permeated my being and I feel truly grateful for so many of life's little quirks. Sorrows look sweeter, grief is easier to bear, and life is not so easily taken for granted.

If all that I receive from my cancer scare is deeper joy and understanding I will be eternally grateful. I would think my greatest blessing at this time is that I can see blessings a little easier. It is in that way that Christ has taken my burdens and made them light. May I be a profitable servant who lives with an attitude of gratitude.

1 comment:

Sue Nuhn said...

Thank you God for another day!